Saturday, March 31, 2012

Hot Chicks Leaderboard (1 week in)

I have talked a lot about leaderboards over the last several years. I love em, for many reasons, but one I want to mention now is Arcades. I used to love going to the arcades and spending my money, but also learning and dominating games. Then after learning and dominating the games themselves, I would take over their Leaderboards. Everyone knew I had been there and I was good, becasue I was on the Top of the leaderboard. some like Return of the Jedi star wars game I dominated so much I owned the Top 10 high scores.

Check out the Return of the Jedi game Here.

I also dominated for several hours a day on one coin games like Q*Bert and Gyruss. Ok, so Q*Bert was easy. Still Scramble wasn't so easy eh! On that one the score would wrap around and Whammo, you suddenly had hardly any score, but still, it allowed a player to get a new life at 10K again :D

When I wasn't at the arcades I would know people were looking at MY score. They were wondering or trying to beat my scores. In fact when I was there, I was trying to beat any scores ahead of mine. It was a DRIVING force to make me play these games. This feeling of target hunting and satisfaction when I got better and moved up the table was intoxicating. This is the feelings I have for a leaderboard. This is what I want in all my games. People being able to play by themselves, and yet be part of a global group of people seeing how they rack up against each other as well.

So onto the more relevant part of this post (if ya read the title).

We are now 1 week in since I released my updated Android version of Hot Chicks the Card Game now including Leaderboards hosted and run by www.Scoreloop.com. What has happened? Has anyone got a score on the board? Has mine own score been challenged yet?

Well lets see some info Man, C'mon Man, get on wiv it!

281 Scores.
Approximately 40 new a day.
approximately 50 scores submitted a day.
18 named entries (boo!)
263 default named entries (Ouch)
26 scores that have 10 points (they matched 1 card)
123 entries that have not completed the first level
35 entries where players are pretty darned good (1K score and greater)
1 entry who has beaten MY score and taken second place (YAY!)
3 players who are in spitting distance of 1st place

As you can see, I can tell a lot of what is going on from this score table. It is fascinating to see. I really wish I had gotten this into the game before the Android version went live several months ago. Still, better late than never.

Q; What am I planning after seeing this information.
A: Well I have already implemented a way to show players they can change their names in the game (for free and it's easy). I hope that highlighting this will get a lot more people to change their default Player4563461364 style ID to something more personal. This I see as a good thing, as they will be more invested in beating BobKicksArseMark2 than Player34623463 etc.

I am very happy with the way this high score tale thing is working out. I am very excited to see what happens when the iOS version is out and that version will start with Leaderboards in it (YAY).

Till then, Keep having fun and stiving for that High Score.

Laters
Da Voodoochief

No comments:

Post a Comment