Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Scrolling combination menu Element


level select slider from Robert Toone on Vimeo.

This video above shows something I like. It is my new scrolling list. It uses several different methods in a happy union for control. It has taken me severla days to get this done right. I coded it very quickly at first but it simly didn't quite work right between modes. So I redesigned it and went to code it yesterday, only I found that I could code it even better. Now I have a fairly simple algorythm using less variables and less code than before.

As you can see above, the list can be dragged by a finger. Then you can swipe and fling the list along at a nice pace that dampens and slows over time. Finally the list will go into a mode once you are not dragging and center the selected item. It also allows someone to stop a fling by touching the screen.

Now it sounds easy once the elements are described, but getting them into a nice cohesive  design is important. I am very pleased with this UI element and will be using it all over the place like the new Code entry screen I need to write.

Laters
Da Voodoochief

No comments:

Post a Comment