Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Little touches Make a game

Ok, so that statement is a bit is a major one and a bit over the top. There are in fact Many aspects of game creation that really Makes a game.

FEEL

That is one word that I love to tell myself when working on anything in my games. From alien AI to button reactions to.. well anything in my games. I try very hard to make each element feel good, naturally responsive and sometimes entertaining.

Here is my latest example:
In my latest endeavour I have  my spaceship at the bottom of the screen. It only moves side to side, controlled by my finger position. I take the Delta and max that. If however I am under the Max Delta (max speed in some sense) I take the Delta and halve it. This gives the ship a lovely smooth movement to the final desired resting place on screen. How many games simply move the ship to its final destination? Well not mine.


Here is what it looks like.. The part to notice is where the ship comes to rest and how smooth it looks like.


Ship movement smoothing from Robert Toone on Vimeo.


Laters
Da Voodoochief

No comments:

Post a Comment