Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Sfx stands for.. Silly?

I have started the sound effects for the game. Althuogh I don't actually have real ones, or even a full list of required SFX it never stops me from proceeding. The one way I have found to get a full list of effects for the sound guys is to simply put some in. This way I quickly find out which ones I have missed off my notes/list.

So a few nights ago I was recording 32 sound effects for all sorts of things, from starting level ditties to explosions, from gutteral 'urgh' to flying chairs. I did this not by searching libraries of sounds (that takes real time!), instead I decided to record them all with my voice. I even managed to get my kids to help me out with a few, as they wandered in to see what all the noise was about. Only to find me slapping my face while making gurgling noises to simulate a smack to the face of Kal. Ahh the fun of it.

In the end about half of the sounds are in fact not terrible, but there are still a bunch of really silly sounds. This is not a bad situation though as replacing a sound is pretty easy, and simply having a placeholder sound helps me do the code or get the timing right for a sound to happen. All good and necessary work.

So I put it on the iPad and let the kids laugh at the cacophony. It sounds worse than it should as I have not yet implemented the individual effects volume settings.. so a swish of air is as loud or louder than a big explosion. That will most likely be my next job. then I can balance some of these effects a bit.

It was a fun time recording these effects and it took me about an hour in total to get them ready for use in game. Not bad for 32 sfx eh!

Laters
Da Voodoochief

No comments:

Post a Comment