Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Listening to others

There is a saying about too many cooks spoil the broth, and although this could be true in cooking. It most certainly is true of making games. Now i could give some real examples, but that would be calling out people i ave worked with and some i currently work with, so that isn't going to happen.

I do believe that one person should have a clear idea of what they are trying to achieve. Then they can ask as many people as they want to, to make the product or idea more rounded and just plain better. There is no magic number to how many people should colaborate on a games design. But too many, or no clear vision will get everyone's ideas in place, and you will end up with a mess, with lots of features, but still a mess to play.

So yesterday i happened to bring round my friend and colleague to look at Dreamlands current development. I had some features of design i was not fully happy with. Well he looked at it and gave me some suggestions. One of which i discounted out of hand. However when i got to actually looking back at the game and programming it, i tried his ideas nonetheless. And whaddya know, his ideas solved my problems. It now works as i wanted it to, but i Needed that help to get me there.

So my vision, someone elses solutions. Simple in essence, not so simple in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment